Study Medicine in Russia: One of the most affordable and popular destinations to study medicine, the Russian Federation attracts a large number of international medical students every year, especially from Asian countries. According to the Indian Embassy in Moscow, 99% of the total number (approximately 5,000) of Indian students studying in Russia are pursuing medical studies.
Compared to western countries, studying medicine in Russia is quite affordable for international students, thanks to the Russian government’s policy of subsidising tuition fees for foreign nationals. Apart from this, what makes Russia a preferred destination for medical studies is the easy admission procedure which involves fast processing of paper works and no entrance test at majority of Russian universities .
In order to cope with an increasing number of foreign medical students, many Russian universities offer medical programmes in English as well. However, foreign students are advised to learn at least the basics of the Russian language as it would help them with their interactions when they go to study medicine in Russia.
Why Study Medicine in Russia?
Here are some major highlights why an international medical student should opt for a Russian degree:
- Majority of the top Russian medical universities follow simple admission procedure with no entrance test for foreign students. They allow admissions through the procedure of application file selection.
- Medical study tuition fees are subsidised and living expenses are affordable compared to other countries in the West.
- With recognitions from WHO and UNESCO, Russian medical degrees are globally acknowledged.
- Medical courses are offered in English as well as French.
- Students don’t need scores of TOEFL or IELTS to study medicine in Russia. They don’t even need to appear for GRE .
- During internship period, students can get a good clinical practice experience in highly equipped multispecialty government hospitals in Russia.
Medical Programmes and Course Duration in Russia
Russian universities offer an MD (Doctor of Medicine) degree in General Medicine, Dental and Sports Medicine covering 6-7 years, depending on the language of instruction. Medical courses are offered in both English and Russian languages as per student’s requirement. A medical course taught in the Russian medium takes 7 years to complete, which includes an initial one year language course for international students.
The Russian MD degree is considered equivalent to an MBBS degree in India by Medical Council of India.
|Degrees||English Medium duration||Russian Medium duration|
|General Medicine||6 years||7 years (Includes 1 year language course).|
|Dental||5 years||6 years (Includes 1 year language course).|
|Sports Medicine||6 years||7 years (Includes 1 year language course).|
Eligibility for admission in Russian universities for Medical Studies:
Students planning to study medicine in Russia are required to have passed 10+2 or equivalent Higher Secondary with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English. Also, they must have obtained at least 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken together in the qualifying examination or equivalent.
Tuition Fees and Living Cost to study medicine in Russia
One of the greatest benefits of studying medicine in Russia is its affordable tuition fees. The Russian government subsidises the tuition fees by 80-90% for foreign medical tudents, which means they have to pay 10-20% of the actual cost of medical education. According to Rus Education, an Indian student in Russia can complete his/her MD (MBBS in India) with the average tuition fees ranging between 800,000 rupees and 1.1 million rupees. Even, the living expenses in Russia are relatively less as compared to that in other developed countries. Living in Moscow costs an estimated US$ 200 per month to foreign students.
Documents Required to study medicine in Russia
For Student Visa: After receiving the “invitation letter for study” from the Department of Federal Migration Service of the Russian Federation, students should approach the Embassy/General Consulate of the Russian Federation in his /her country in order to apply for a student visa, for which the following documents are required:
- Valid passport;
- Duly completed and signed visa application form;
- Two passport size identical photos 35 mm x 45 mm with white background;
- Visa support letter from university or college and copy of admission letter from the university or college
- Aids certificate (HIV test)
Documents required to be carried along to Russia:
- Passport (valid for not less than 2 years)
- Student entry visa
- Immigration Card (provided during the flight or at the airport, must be completed by the student and stamped by customs at the airport right after arrival in Russia)
- Medical health certificate, including chest X-Ray result
- Negative AIDS test result
- 12 passport size (3Ã—4 cm) black and white photographs in matt finish
Since Russian medical degrees are WHO recognised, foreign students can practice medicine in their home country, provided they clear the screening tests conducted by the apex medical bodies of the respective countries. For example, Indian students having medicine degrees from Russia have to clear the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) to practice medicine in India. Likewise, students hoping to practice medicine in countries like the USA and UK have to clear USMLE and PLAB, respectively.
Best institutions in Russia for Medical Studies:
- Lomonosov Moscow State University
- Russian State Medical University, Moscow
- Volgograd State Medical University, Volgograd
- Kursk State Medical University, Kursk
- Kazan State Medical University, KAZAN
- Tver State Medical Academy
- I.M. Sechenov Moscow Medical Academy
- People’s Friendship University of Russia, Moscow